I'm Still Here

Regular readers of my blog (or those who have just recently stumbled upon it) may have been wondering where I've been for the past five months (yup, it's really been that long; I checked. If you still don't believe me, you can find my last post here). I didn't plan to take a break from blogging, it just sort of happened. Life happened. I went back to college. I gave up teaching in order to study veterinary medicine and hopefully one day save all the animals.

I knew being away from home would be hard. I knew I was going to miss my family and my pets like crazy. I even knew that being a mature student would present its own unique challenges (my fellow classmates do not get hangovers and many have never seen Titanic or The Matrix, I kid you not). But I was not expecting the absolutely horrendous homesickness that I experienced those first few weeks. I hadn't realised that I would no longer be able to sleep without the warmth and weight of a cat on my feet or at the end of the bed. Then there were the more practical issues, like finding my way around a new city, figuring out how to work the immersion/cooker/dryer, and even re-learning how to study and take notes.

I don't think I've ever been as busy (read: stressed) as I have been these last few months: Leaving my job. Finding somewhere to live. Moving out. Moving in. Cooking. Cleaning (so much cleaning). Meeting new people. Making new friends. Trying not to lose touch with old ones. Sometimes studying. Always learning.

I've missed blogging. I've missed writing about the things that I love (or don't). I'm hoping I can find a way to fit it all in. Every time I start freaking out over my decision to dedicate the next five years of my life to learning a completely new profession, I remind myself that good things take time. So with that in mind, stick around; things are about to get interesting.

Leave a comment