Minty Fresh - Soapwalla's Deodorant Cream

The weather around these parts has been unnaturally humid of late. I wake up in the morning, the sun is shining, and I go for a run. By the time I get back to the house, it's already started to rain. The walk from my car to work usually leaves me looking like I showered with my clothes on. Then the sun decides to show its face again leaving me to bake inside for the rest of the day behind glass walls and windows. All this means that it's nearly impossible to dress appropriately for the weather and more often than not I end up a sweaty mess. Sexy.

I've tried all kinds of deodorants and antiperspirants (stick, roll-on, and spray) over the years but most of them were so heavily fragranced that a mere whiff was enough to turn my stomach; others were either overpriced or ineffective, sometimes both! My first foray into the world of natural deodorants was less than successful but seeing as how I've slowly been converting the rest of my toiletries to less toxic (and more animal-friendly) alternatives, I decided to give them another go. After hours trawling the internet and poring over reviews, one deodorant in particular stood out - Soapwalla's Deodorant Cream.


Described on the Soapwalla site as "all natural and uniquely powerful, utilizing superfine vegetable powders and clays, as well as lavender, peppermint and tea tree essential oils to absorb moisture, inhibit bacteria, and ensure a long-lasting and highly effective experience. The frosting-like consistency allows for easy manual application and rapid absorption, and is ideal for all skin types." What particularly drew me to the product was the fact that it's vegan, not tested on animals and is free from Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, parabens and all those other nasties.

I'll admit I was more than slightly hesitant when I spotted lavender on the ingredient list (because I hate lavender) but there's really just a hint of it; the peppermint and tea tree scents win out and for some reason the combination just works. In fact I'd go so far as to say I wish there were more products in this line with a similar fragrance, like a shower gel perhaps. From the moment you unscrew the lid of the adorable little navy pot, it all just smells so fresh and clean.



Soapwalla are quick to point out that this product is not intended to be an antiperspirant and while it's true that it doesn't stop you sweating, I never got to that unpleasantly wet, slightly sticky underarm stage as I have done with other deodorants. Its butter-and-sugar-creamed-together consistency means you can just scoop some out with your fingers and reapply whenever necessary.

So I say kudos to you, Soapwalla, for successfully restoring my faith in natural deodorants and making it a joy to sniff one's armpits, should one ever wish to do such a thing.

P.S. I got mine from the lovely people at Content Beauty.

Leave a comment